Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Getting Jacked

a little over a year ago, we got a new radio station in los angeles called JackFM. i know they are starting them in other cities all over the country, so if you have one, you know the joy that is Jack. if you don't, well it sucks to be you.

this station plays the most scizophrenic mix of music, but it is all songs you love. within one hour you will exclaim at least 4 times, "oh my god! i LOVE that song! i haven't heard it in forever!"

on a recent morning, they played these songs back to back:

girls, girls, girls by motley crue
true by spandau ballet
heard it thru the grapevine by marvin gaye
livin' on a prayer by bon jovi
nothing compares 2 u by sinead oconner

this is just MADNESS! on a scale of one to Courtney Love, they get an eight!

so many of these songs just take me RIGHT BACK to very particular times in my life. the other day they played "welcome to the jungle" and that song IS my senior year of high school. it is me and my friends ditching school (sorry, mom), driving around hollywood blvd, smoking cigarettes and listening to heather tell us all about her sex life. hey, mom, at least i was still a virgin and just living vicariously thru her. take your pride where you can find it.

then there is "the boy with the thorn in his side" by The Smiths. oh my god, that is me at 15, listening to that album on my turntable, clutching the record sleeve and just SOBBING because no one understood my teen agnst like Morrissey. he REALLY REALLY understood me.

which of course, takes us directly to "blasphemous rumours" by Depeche Mode. oh, that song was just so deep. the girl wants to commit suicide and then she finds a reason to live and gets hit by a bus and ends up on a life support machine. oh, the tragedy, the pathos, the PAIN. it was just SO VERY philosophical. we didn't need Socrates, we had Depeche mode. ok, it was the 80's, i was 16, that was as deep as i got.

on to happier times....."end of the innocence" by don henley. (mom STOP READING NOW and DO NOT read this to granny) ah yes, that song is me making out with the hottest guy i ever dated. and we were both stone cold sober, so i have no clue why he was dating me, but i didn't ask too many questions. i was just enjoying the ride. we didn't actually have sex, and god knows, if we had, my head would have actually burst into flames. memories of that night got me thru many a dry spell. good times. good times. yeah, you might need to give me a minute here.

where was i?

oh, that radio station.

that's it.

when they play "are you gonna go my way?" by Lenny Kravitz, i am 25 years old again, back at the Rainbow on Sunset Blvd, drunker than humanly possible and dancing my ass off with my friends. you never had to worry about being "falling down drunk" on that dance floor because it was always so crowded, you could not fall down. it was wall to wall people and if you lost your footing, you just swayed a little and the 45 bodies around you kept you propped up. and that was only after 2 drinks. see, the Rainbow is nortorious for making the stongest, nastiest drinks in all of LA. so, of course, we were there 3 nights a week. you order a screwdriver there and the bartender pours vodka, vodka and more vodka into a tall glass. then he adds just a spritz of orange juice.

ah, nostalgia. i'm gonna go dust off my Cure albums now and put on some smudgy, black eyeliner.